Friday, September 6, 2013

For the Love of Music, Part 1

For the Love of Music, Part 1
When I first came up with the idea of starting a music studio back in 2004, I had no idea what I would be getting myself into.  I had a pretty good career path working in the Corporate world and getting good at what I had chosen as a profession.  

Stress of being a newly wed, having an instant family with two wonderful step-children and trying to maintain a home made me take a look at my priorities.  I took a hard look and have never looked back.  

Most of my readers are students and perhaps there's not enough time during piano or voice lessons to tell you about my background.  

Let's start with piano . . . . 

My life has always included a musical background.  I would dare say I have it in my DNA!  My parents always played music in the home since the time I was a baby.  Dad has this incredible collection of classical music and we often found the house booming with big overtures coming from those stereo speakers!!  Loud enough to shake the house.

Loud enough to shake my core and instill the love of music.

My parents found that whenever we'd visit Grandma's, I was busy at her piano.  Grandma S. played the black keys only, but boy could she play!  She played a mean "When the Saints Go Marching In".  I can't remember if I ever learned how to do that as good as she could do it.  

One thing we discovered real fast is that I had the ear to hear a tune and attempt to plunk it out.  At least the melody line!  Something had to be done.  So two very loving and poor parents scrambled to find a piano for our home.

This klunker of a piece of furniture took up a good section of a wall or room.  I think my folks paid next to nothing for it and it was a bugger to move!  Half the keys didn't work and thanks to little sisters, some of the ivories had been destroyed or ripped off.

Half the time, my parents couldn't afford me to be in piano lessons so thanks to Grandparents, I had that opportunity.  There were a lot of start and stop moments in my musical career as a child.  But I managed to learn enough to start teaching myself how to play what I liked.  

The gift of the ear didn't hurt either.  I remember hearing the theme song of "Hill Street Blues" and spending hours at the piano to figure that one out.  I did.

My gifts have grown with me.  As I continue to teach, so does my love of music.  

Through my life, I have discovered music to be an outlet that has saved sanity, lifted others and been a great medium for me to express myself.  I am every much of an artist as a painter, sculptor, writer, actress, and the list is endless.

All for the love of music.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your musings about these posts!